Merch

Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm Living with Red-Eyed Tree Frogs...

Meet Filbert Toad! 

Meet Joe Frog! (center of photo)

My older brother is kind of the out-doorsy type that had been fascinated by reptiles and animals since he was little. He was always the kind of kid who, when we got to a camp ground or hiking trail would dart away from the car and come back within seconds with a huge smile on his face, holding a lizard or giant snake of some kind. He also knew every single species of reptile possibly imaginable, he was kind of a wikipedia of reptile knowledge. I think he has owned at least 3 lizards, two geckos, a snake or two, some frogs, fish, a komodo dragon, a parakeet, a bunny, a cat  and two pitbulls in his life. Anyways, for Mother's Day, he gave my mom his Red-Eyed Tree Frogs since she also has always loved frogs. 

So I came home one day, and there was this tank in the family room with two little green intruders. At least, that's how my cat, Jasper saw it. 

If you did not know, Jasper the Cat's mother was actually born and raised in France, technically making Jasper half-French. It's a big joke between my French friend, Alexandra and I. We always make fun of Jasper for French stereotypes, namely being that he wants to eat frogs. And since those little Red-Eyes have moved in, Jasper seriously wants to eat them. It's hilarious to me, but my mom told Jasper she would "make Jasper Stew" and "kill you" if he ate her frogs...

If you have never owned Tree Frogs before, they're kind of boring... Mainly because they are nocturnal and during the day are just suctioned to the glass. I'm a cat/dog person and not really one for pets smaller than a cat. Being able to pet and cuddle with my animals is important to me. Don't try to cuddle with a tree frog, they can't even be touched... They're allergic to you. Which is pretty funny and backwards. Tree Frogs are basically a "picture pet," meaning that they are only around for looks. 

But I digress. My dad named them Frog and Toad, based off the children's books with the same name. My mom kept interchanging their names, so I started calling the slightly more interesting and much bigger guy Joe Frog, and the littler guy who just suctions himself to the side of the tank all the time, Filbert Toad. (We have no idea if they are actually males though.)

Filbert and Joe eat crickets, which can be fun to watch (if they actually decide to move). Joe moves like a cougar and pounces on crickets like he's a jungle cat. Filbert usually stays firmly suctioned to the glass and every now and then tries to escape-- which Jasper waits for with anticipation and stations himself directly next to the tank during feeding times. 

As I said, Joe and Filbert are usually suctioned to the glass. Sometimes if they are cold, they snuggle (well, as much a a frog is going to snuggle) and other days they are on opposite ends of the tank, and Jasper and I conclude that they had a fight. 

Filbert is the closer one, while Joe remains on the far side... Not sure what they fought about but they are not budging on the matter! (teeheehee!)

So, what have some of your weirder pets been? Answer and follow me on Twitter @ClaireNoblesArt


4 comments:

  1. I recognize those frogs! I'm Kim's husband, and so received your ink drawings of them for Father's Day. They're beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You've really made my day! You're so sweet to comment. I'm so glad you're enjoying your drawings. Kim was so excited to commission them for you. I was happy to use these little guys as references but only used them once or twice when they were moving around. They weren't the greatest models, as they are suctioned to the glass 90% of the time. =)

      Delete
  2. My aunt had wild green tree frogs in her shower. I went to vist her in TX and I picked up the shampoo bottle to find a little green shower mate stuck to it. He didn't seemed bothered by me so I just carried on doing my thing. He seemed to like it when I hosed him down with the warm water. I guess she let him/them stay there since my aunt claimed he/they ate the spiders. It was kinda cool though hearing them croak and sing to you while you were showering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute would that be!! My frogs aren't nearly as people-friendly. Thanks for sharing! =D

      Delete