Merch

Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Claire Through the Decades (in which she did not exist)

Recently at work, we had a decades theme where we had to come in with hair and makeup from a different decade theme. I spent a whole day trying out different looks and ended up with three. They were the 1920's, 1940's, and 1960's. Just a bit of my weird artsy side and makeup skills for you all to enjoy.

Also, just to be clear, yes, all the pictures below are me. I know I look goofy.


Above is the 1920's which is known for flappers, big sad eyes, cupid lips and S-curls. I also made the executive decision that they were known for long cigarettes and used a pen to simulate that. I had way too much fun being a flapper, but I could not take myself seriously anytime I passed a mirror. My dad got kind of freaked out too. It was hilarious.


Above the look is 1940's: known for the pin up girls, red lipstick, dark arched eyebrows, victory rolls, red lipstick and moles.... This was the look I went with for actually going to work (on the first day anyways). It was more fun and ridiculous and I didn't mind being seen this way in public since the pin-up look is sort of a thing in present day. I went for a Marilyn Monroe/Dita Von Teese/ Pin-Up look.

During the event I had a lady who was possibly 70 to 80 years old see me and completely pause in her tracks. She asked me if I was doing the 1940's and when I told her I was, she said I had it spot-on! Quite a compliment from someone who actually lived then. Btw, I realized from these photos that I should never wink... Ever.


Above is a close up of my hair style on the actual event day. I did huge victory rolls and pin-curls. I liked it at first, then wondered if I looked a bit like Pop-eye's girlfriend... I had about 1,376 bobby pins and at least 8 gallons of hair spray in order to achieve this hair style.


Above is my ridiculous Twiggy look from the 1960's. Every photo I see of her from that time, she looks so depressed with her HUGE eyes and blank expression, so in the top photo, I tried to make myself look as equally zombie-like as I could.

The bottom photo, is the look I went with for the second day of the decade event. I added a bit more drama to the eyeliner and did my hair more side-part-looking. Both ways, I look completely ridiculous, but oh well. One of my co-workers was modeling her look after Edie Sedgwick, so we got a cute picture together-- which she needs to email me... *cough-cough! KATE!*

Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I really like your 1940s pin-up look! What lipstick brand and shade did you use? :)

    ReplyDelete