Merch

Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Out of the Hospital and Taking it Easy: Heart Awareness Month

Day 5 in the Hospital with flowers from my family
Some of you may have seen my facebook recently which declared taking a break due to medical reasons. I would love to write a detailed blog entry about what that specifically means, but my energy is extraordinarily low. I lost a lot of weight while in the hospital and am extremely weak. (possibly coz hospital food is wretched) I'll have to summarize now and write more later.

Basically, I just got out of a week long hospital stay on Thursday, the 31st of January. I wrote in an earlier blog that I had the flu-- well, apparently it WAS NOT THE FLU!

My doctors (I had at least 6 of them including Cardiology and Infectious Disease doctors) finally tracked that I had Endocarditis, which in short, is an infection in the lining and valves of my heart. While this is generally bad news for most people, it's even worse news for me due to my heart conditions which have led me to a few open-heart surgeries... LUCKILY, I did not have to have another open-heart surgery this time around! The doctors administered around the clock antibiotics and by Tuesday I was finally showing signs of improving.

I was sent home with a PICC line, which is basically like a hardcore IV. The PICC is inserted in my left arm and there is a plastic wire that snakes up my arm, through my shoulder, and into my heart. Because of the PICC, I personally inject antibiotics intravenously four times a day for 2.5 hours at a time. Don't worry, I only have to do this for 6 whole weeks...

My planner right now is filled with injection times, pill times, and doctor visits. My job is now my health.

On the plus side, this couldn't have come at a better time, as February is Heart Health Awareness Month!!! (trying to find a silver lining somehow!) Usually I sell products on my website and donate a dollar from every product to the American Heart Association. This year, I do not have energy to fill orders. But please spread the word and try to focus on good Heart Health-- it is SO important for everyone. If you would like to donate to the American Heart Association, they are the reason why I get to be alive today. They are an amazing organization and the donations help fund research! Their website is www.heart.org Their site has a multitude of information on Healthy Living and if you are inspired to donate, the button is in the upper right corner.

I hope at some point to write a more detailed blog about my hospital stay and experiences. For now, I thought I'd give a general update to my family, friends, fans and caring people. So many of you sent me so many sweet texts, phone calls, comments on facebook, positive messages, hospital visits and prayers. I am so happy to know I have so many True-Blue friends and the best family I could ask for! I couldn't be more grateful to you all. Thank you for your kindness, support and prayers during this wild trip in my life.

Go forth and be Heart-Healthy!


5 comments:

  1. Goodness, Claire... my thoughts are prayers are with you today as I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    Tori :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Claire, I am sending you all the healing and positive thoughts I can. Please, please take care of yourself and take it easy. I look forward to hearing more of your recovery. This hits home for me right now as my cousin just passed away the other day due to her heart giving out......Sending you healing light and energy <3<3<3

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Man! I knew it wasn't the flu! I'm just glad to see you feeling better and on the mend.Take care of yourself hun.Love you!!

    ♥'s
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete