Merch

Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ready, Set, *Achoo!* Uh, Draw?

Raven
©2013
Medium: Ink
Size: 7x10 inches
So on Tuesday I asked my Facebook page to write the name of any animal, and the for the first three suggestions I would do an ink drawing for the next day. The reaction happened immediately and I got "Platypus," "Raven," and "Slow Loris." (you get what you ask for) 

I was really excited to start so I did quite a bit of sketching on the three subjects. I got called away for a few hours to help with a short film (details coming soon in another blog). When I came back I continued sketching and hoped to finish at least one that night. However, apparently my body hates me and refuses to work with my plans. I felt a slight tickle in my throat and got a bit woozy. 

WTH! I just got through with Endocarditis, really?!?! A COLD!?!? Anyways, I drank some Emergen-C, downed some Nyquil and went straight to bed. 

The next morning I woke up with the feeling of gravel in my throat and my head was fuzzy and heavy... So I went back to sleep and did very little the rest of the day. 

Anyhow! Due to this set back, I'm a day late in posting the drawings, please forgive me! I've been going at a snail's pace with the drawings. I even have to sketch out some pencil lines first (which I *hate* doing) before I can put ink to paper. I got a couple Raven drawings done, which I posted above and one below. However, I'm just going to post the sketches of the platypus and slow loris since my head remains fuzzy and refuses to see reference photos properly.

Raven 2
©2013
Medium: Ink
Size: ~5x7 inches

Slow Loris Sketch- WIP
 I had quite a few more problems with the Slow Loris than the other two. I'm not sure if other artists find it tricky as well or if I'm just suffering from my cold. Anyway, the sketch above was my "I'm going to figure out this animal if it kills me!" I even drew the T-cross guidance lines on the face. I probably spent way too long on this sketch, but at least it was informative of what the slow loris' face actually looks like and how I can improve. *shrug*

It's now my personal mission in life to draw this darn animal! After it's done, I'll either draw a million of them or never draw them again...?

Platypus sketches (on the same page)
The platypus isn't nearly as difficult for me as the slow loris was. I just have to figure out what kind of environment I want it in, the pose, etc. 

When I sketch/draw new animals I usually google diagrams of them so I can see where they're body parts are and what certain parts are used for (this was especially helpful when I was drawing out the giant squid a while back). Anyways, I learned about the platypus that they have little earholes almost directly next to their eyes! So the long extension of the platypus eye you see I drew in the picture is not a representation of girly platypus eyelashes, it's the ear!

I hate breaking promises, so I hope this satisfies some of you. And either way, I'll work my hardest to deliver the other two by tomorrow!

Ok, now back to the drawing board. (literally)

All above drawings/ sketches are copyrighted ©2013 to Claire Nobles 

No comments:

Post a Comment